Upon completion of this exercise, you should be able to:
- Define solubility, miscibility, salting-in, salting-out, complex ion
formation, dielectric constant, and pHp.
- Identify factors that affect drug solubility.
- Explain the effects of temperature, multiple solutes, pH, and solute/solvent
polarities (dielectric constant) on drug solubility.
- Describe the fundamental relationship between product formulation,
drug solubility, and drug absorption, bioavailability, and therapeutic
- Describe two (2) approaches to optimizing drug solubility.
- Determine the pHp of a weak acid or base for a given concentration.
- Given necessary experimental data, calculate the dielectric constant
needed to solubilize a compound.