Upon completion of this exercise, you should be able to:
- Identify the required elements of a prescription.
- Review a prescription for completeness and legality; identify incomplete or missing information.
- Differentiate between prescriptions and medication orders.
- Read, interpret, and translate into English any prescription or medication order written in Latin or other common abbreviations.
- Identify at least six steps in preparing and dispensing extemporaneous prescriptions required to ensure that the patient receives the correct dose of the prescribed medication.
- Describe prescription labeling requirements.
- Produce an appropriate prescription label.