Upon completion of this exercise, you should be able to:
- Describe three (3) pharmaceutical applications of the principles of
extraction and partition coefficient.
- Define solvent extraction and describe how it is most efficiently carried
- Given the solvent extraction equations, the partition coefficient for
the system, and the relative volumes of original and extracting solvents,
calculate the weight or fraction of drug extracted after an number of extractions
or calculate the number of extractions required to extract a specified
fraction of the drug.
- To measure the extraction of salicylic acid from aqueous buffer solution
into two different organic solvent mixtures.
- To measure the extraction of salicylic acid (0.02%) from aqueous buffer
of various pH's and thereby determine the pKa for salicylic acid.