Upon completion of this exercise, you should be able to:
- Define and/or identify emulsions and emulsifying agents.
- Identify two factors that determine emulsion type (o/w vs. w/o).
- Describe the levels of instability to which emulsions are subject.
- Describe 3 mechanisms by which emulsions are stabilized.
- Classify emulsifying agents by type and describe their uses, advantages,
- Define and calculate HLB for any nonionic surfactant system.
- Describe and/or demonstrate 3 methods of emulsion preparation.
- Identify pharmaceutical uses of emulsions.